News

Harare: Inferno guts downtown building

 

A building in the downtown of Harare’s Central Business District (CBS) has been gutted due to an inferno destroying property worth thousands of dollars.

The building which is located at Corner Robert Mugabe and Chinhoyi Streets was lately turning into a mall accommodating many traders before a complete devastating inferno in the early hours of Thursday.

.

The two storey building used to house businesses of at least 500 traders and Agribank, is suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault and the situation was worsened when gas tanks in a restaurant within building, exploded.

“I lost all my property worth over US$20 000 in my shop,” Caleb Bepeta, who sold electrical gadgets at the mall said.

“You can imagine the loss that I have suffered right and when we have just started a New Year,” he said.

Shells of burnt TVs, radios and cellphones were strewn in the rubble while a traffic light nearby melted due to the intensity of the flames.

“Although the details are still a bit sketchy, we hear the cause of the fire was as a result of an electrical fault that spread to the restaurant at the back of the building and gas tanks in the restaurant exploded,” said Ngonidzashe Madara who trades in solar equipment and gas tanks.

Police and fire brigade officers were busy turning away scores of traders and bystanders who wanted to gain access into the building to assess the damage.

Tendai Guvamombe